Friday, August 22, 2014

A heritage house on 11th Street and Louise Avenue in Brandon after the rain stops today

The Heritage house on 11th Street and Louise Avenue in Brandon after the rain stopped this morning.
I just came back from my daily outdoor painting excursion. O, What a morning today! When you are painting on the street, you attract people’s attention and they tend to stop and chat with you! I am very used to it and actually quite enjoy painting and chatting simultaneously! However, today is exceptional; I have had so many interesting encounters and it is quite something that I finished my painting within two hours despite of so many chats with people whom I had never met!  First, a native teacher from the north came to chat with me talking about creativity and art education, second, I met an artist who had just moved here from Gimli, and I shared with him my painting trip to Gimli two summers before, third, I met a gentleman who recognized me from face book telling me that his wife had the same last name Zhao as mine!, wondering if by any chance his wife and I were related. I told him that Zhao is a very popular Chinese last name just like Smith in English, and the chance of us being related is zero. I then, asked him where in China his wife was from. He could not tell me right away, but gave me a hint about using melted snow for underground irrigation system from mountains. I told him it was Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region in the far western China, and to his surprise I told him that was where I was born and grew up!Then , came a university graduate from Ontario who was originally from India and proudly showed me on his smart phone a picture of a magnificent looking new architecture of a Sikh Temple. And after that, a familiar face came on bike to stop and chat with me. A straight A student from Crocus Plains high school who came from China without any knowledge of English , and now after just a few years , not only did he finished all major high school courses with close to 100 percent but also finished all Advanced Placement courses with close to 100 percent!!! He is also outstanding in fine art painting brilliantly. He is ready for medical school now, and he is eager to share with me about painting and about how to get ready academically for medical school. While chatting, while painting, deep in me like a wedge which refused to dislodge itself is the beautiful first few notes from Schubert’s piano sonata in A major D664 which I heard from CBC Radio 2 at 10:40 am while driving to my painting spot.
In case you have not heard yet , please enjoy Kempff's interpretation here on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGg5dVoNB6c


No comments:

Post a Comment