Sunday, September 7, 2014

My full moon night


My full moon night --- a quick oil sketch at 8 p.m today when the full moon was rising to mark Chinese Mid-Autumn festival today in China. In China today it is the annual traditional holiday of Mid-Autumn Festival when the whole family should get together to feel complete just like the full moon implies. We will eat moon cakes and share a cup of rice wine over a full sumptuous dinner. However, it is certainly not possible for me to complete the circle now for my family back in China when they realize I am alone and far away. When I called my wife in China, she reminded me that there is a box of moon cakes in the deep freezer, and do not forget to help myself to it. I did not feel like eating it, instead, I took my easel outdoor and watched the full moon rising and did this quick oil sketch: the full moon was rising, and the lights from the windows across the street were on and so was the street light. I always love the tenderness of this time of the day let alone when the full moon was rising now. I have two brothers and one sister in my family. My two brothers were raised by my maternal grandmother alone from when they were babies, in the far east of China while my sister and I were raised by my parents in the far west China. My parents did not want raising kids tamper their revolutionary fervor therefore sending my two brothers off to be raised by grandmother. We therefore were separated so far apart, and we managed to get together in china only twice our life time before I moved to Canada. My parents always dreamed of getting us all together as a family, sadly it never happened. Now it is even impossible with four of us sibling three different nationalities now. Always on this occasion it the poem by Chinese Tang Dynasty poet Li Po that always came to my mind
静夜思
光,
霜。
月,
乡。
And also this traditional Chinese tune: Full Moon Reflected in the spring water , here is the vocal version by Chinese Central Choir

No comments:

Post a Comment